STO Forums

Search

Type your search criteria above and click Search to search the forums.

To see if someone has already answered a query similar to yours, click the Search button above and search for terms related to your question.

Water meter installation

By Sharon Grillenberger on Mon, 12 Feb 2018 at 11:04

I am involved with a Complex of 32 Units. With the dreadful drought as well as the under recovery of our water costs every month the Trustees would like to install individual water meters.
Question 1 - In light of the drought surely this cannot be seen as a luxurious improvement?
Question 2 - PMR15(7) and PMR29(2) seem to contradict each other. Please would someone explain this. This is urgent so as far as I am concerned a 7 day notice period is sufficient but in 29(2) it says 30 days notice must first be given(???)
These are not pre-paid water meters, they are highly accurate and efficient digital water meters
Question 3 - Is this a Unanimous Resolution?
I appreciate any assistance given
Thanks in advance

Replies

You must login to post a reply.

RE: Water meter installation

V L Nagy replied on Mon, 12 Feb 2018 at 11:33

great questions,, follow

Frances Paton replied on Tue, 13 Feb 2018 at 19:21

Hi Sharon
Whether an improvement is reasonable or not is for the body corporate to decide. However, on the assumption that installation of individual water meters is reasonably necessary in the present circumstances, PMR 29(2) will apply. You have confirmed that the meters are not the prepaid variety, which are dealt with differently in PMR 29(4).
PMR 15(7) permits the trustees to call a meeting on 7 days’ notice if they have first resolved that short notice is necessary due to the urgency of the matter, and have set out their reasons for passing the resolution. I do not believe that you can rely on PMR 15(7) for the following reasons: (1) It is questionable whether the installation of water meters is sufficiently urgent to justify shortening the notice of the meeting so drastically. This clause is more applicable to emergency situations; and (2) PMR 15(7) specifically precludes the trustees from taking such a resolution in regard to a meeting referred to in PMR 29(2).
Note that it is not always necessary to hold a general meeting in order to obtain body corporate approval for a reasonably necessary project. If all owners have received at least 30 days’ written notice of the proposal, accompanied by the information contained in PMR 29(2) (a)–(c), and there is no objection from the members, the project can proceed. However if a member makes a written request for a general meeting to discuss the proposal, the trustees must call a general meeting at which the proposal must be approved, with or without changes, by special resolution. A meeting at which a special resolution is to be passed requires 30 days notice, which will run from the date on which the members receive notice of the meeting. Accordingly you might find yourself having to wait almost 60 days before you can begin to install the water meters.

Vicki Sanan replied on Thu, 15 Feb 2018 at 11:23

Very interesting. Who is responsible for cost of installation? There is a proposal on the table at our block to the effect that each owner pays for his or her meter. I'm wondering if this type of expense should come out of reserve funds?

Advertisements
Banner
Website Statistics
  • Forum Topics: 11412
  • Users: 20776