STO Forums

Search

Type your search criteria above and click Search to search the forums.

To see if someone has already answered a query similar to yours, click the Search button above and search for terms related to your question.

Payment Of Honorarium

By Arnoldus Van Zyl on Mon, 12 Feb 2018 at 13:24

I am serving as Treasurer on a BC, where for the last 15 years, there has been payment of an Honorarium for the person looking after the maintenenance and repair of the complex. As I am aware that nobody serving on the BC can receive payment for the services they render, can someone shed some light on what an Honorarium would be paid for, and how should it be applied.

This is a monthly expence for our BC.

Replies

You must login to post a reply.

RE: Payment Of Honorarium

Alex Walters replied on Tue, 13 Feb 2018 at 14:47

Hi Arnoldus
If the person who receives the honorarium is a trustee, then you need to look at MR8(2) which reads "Unless so determined by special resolution, trustees who are members are not entitled to any reward, whether monetary or otherwise, for their services as such."

To be on the safe side I would suggest that if a maintenance overseer is a trustee a special resolution should be passed to approve the remuneration, even if the maintenance responsibility is not a trustee duty....Show More

RE: Payment Of Honorarium

andrew church replied on Wed, 14 Feb 2018 at 11:23

If the person looking after maintenance is an owner and not a trustee, the trustees should be free to pay the person provided there is a written contract is place (see PMR9(d).
---------
Thank you for info on this. Kind regards

Advertisements
Banner
Website Statistics
  • Forum Topics: 11482
  • Users: 20862