STO Forums

Search

Type your search criteria above and click Search to search the forums.

To see if someone has already answered a query similar to yours, click the Search button above and search for terms related to your question.

Problems with trustees and manager

By Wyno Simes on Thu, 08 Mar 2018 at 09:01

Good day, I moved into a sectional title flat in Milnerton in April 2017. There are various issues at the block.
It took the Body Corporate nearly a year to replace the faulty intercom system with a new one. When I asked why only one quotation was obtained, the managing agent said that three quotes were not customary: "Quotes serve almost no purpose. We try and build long-term relationships with reputable contractors who we can trust will provide a fair price."
Two flats were burgled by a cat burglar and the one trustee said the security will not be reviewed "because nothing serious happened".
Residents and owners were subsequently forbidden to contact any of the trustees, including the chairman, and to only deal with the agent.
One night the motor gate - the only access to the property for the majority of the residents - got stuck. It took the managing agent more than an hour to come and release the gate. It seems that only he knows the code for the combination lock on the gate motor.
When I asked when an AGM would be held, the managing agent replied: "Due to non-attendance at meetings in the past the trustees have felt that it is better to deal with Body Corporate matters by email. We can call for an AGM at any time as we have the 2017 audited financials in hand. However, since our financial year end is April it seems to make more sense at this stage to roll the 2017 financial year into 2018 and then call for an AGM sometime around July 2018."
I find this highly irregular.
I have sent e-mails to owners about the intercom and only three have responded (out of 17 flats).
What should I do?
Regards and thanks
Wyno Simes

Replies

You must login to post a reply.

RE: Problems with trustees and manager

andrew church replied on Thu, 08 Mar 2018 at 10:59

( Residents and owners were subsequently forbidden to contact any of the trustees, including the chairman, and to only deal with the agent. )
-----------
This outcome of not being able to contact the trustees is in question ? The reason being, that at the AGM the members present are able to vote for the name of the person who they believe will best uphold the obligation of trustees. That being the obligation to show some concern for their fellow members ?

Advertisements
Banner
Website Statistics
  • Forum Topics: 11356
  • Users: 20674