STO Forums

Search

Type your search criteria above and click Search to search the forums.

To see if someone has already answered a query similar to yours, click the Search button above and search for terms related to your question.

Fibre in complex

By Ina Pretorius on Sat, 10 Mar 2018 at 12:43

Good Day. Kindly assist me with the rules regarding installation of fibre. When i phoned the provider they told me that our body corporate informed them not to install fibre in our complex (the connection of the cables) Fibre is available in the area. I will pay for my own installation in my unit etc, but unfortunately the body corporate decided that we cannot distribute the cables to the unit and therefore I will never have access to fibre. Was this not suppose to be communicated to all the owners, can a body corporate's trustees decide this by themself? I would like some clarification on this, Please and thank you. many thanks

Replies

You must login to post a reply.

RE: Fibre in complex

andrew church replied on Sat, 10 Mar 2018 at 15:37

( Kindly assist me with the rules regarding installation of fibre )
---------------------
There are two types of fibre. One being ADSL for access to the internet web on your computer ? The other type of fibre is the more advanced communication between your SAT dish for DSTV reception.
-----------------------------
If you require ADSL this application could by pass the trustees and go straight to Telkom. Speak to Telkom first. If they require a letter from the Trustees this will alert you to some common property issue ?? The Telkom process is to access the existing telephone infrastructure built into your building from the start ??
-------------------
DSTV fibre will in most cases require the attention of the trustees, as to what installer they prefer to place the trunking on the common walls to your unit ?

Ina Pretorius replied on Sat, 10 Mar 2018 at 19:24

Good Day. This fibre is not connected to Telkom or DsTv at all. It is for internet access. Vumatel already installed the fibre outside the complex. They need to distribute cables to my unit from those poles on the pavement so i can install internet fibre (via afrihost in my unit. I will not have any connection with Telkom - only fibre internet. Sorry if I did not make my question clearer. Much appreciated.

andrew church replied on Sat, 10 Mar 2018 at 20:15

( Vumatel via Afrihost ) NOT TELKOM
--------------
If we are lucky Callie de Jager might see that it is Vumatel via Afrihost ? Callie has a good idea what may be the procedure here and is often able to shed some more light on what should be the way forward ? I will wait for Callie de Jager advice on this or any others ?

andrew church replied on Sat, 10 Mar 2018 at 20:39

( while we are waiting for Callie the following infomation was detected on Vuma procedure )
---------------
( We will aim to use existing conduits ??) If they detect that you do have this, it could be a very fast process ?? ( see further below )
-------------
The engagement starts with a meeting with the Body Corporate or landlord. Once we have met with the relevant parties and there is a thorough understanding of the process to install fibre into the complex, a survey is arranged. A Vuma representative will conduct a survey in order to determine how best to provision fibre onto the property.
-----------
We will aim to use existing conduits and plan the least disruptive route into the building or complex
-------------
( We will aim to use existing conduits ) ?? Check with trustees if they think that they do have this ??
-----------
(meeting with the Body Corporate ) ? This means the trustees will get pulled in ? Keep in mind trustees are there to keep an eye on the common property between the outer fence pole across to the nearest entry point to any existing conduits ?

Michael James replied on Sun, 11 Mar 2018 at 17:53

Ask for a Special General Meeting to approve the installation.

Vumatel installed a fibre optic network in our complex recently. It is free of charge. It is a minor inconvenience when the installation starts but it will make the unit more marketable when they are sold or rented. Vumatel will repair any damage caused during the installation....Show More

Ina Pretorius replied on Tue, 13 Mar 2018 at 11:36

Thank you for all the replies. We had no communication that the body corporate's trustees decided not to have fibre installed. No research was done. They just decided on a normal monthly meeting that fibre will not be installed in our complex. I had a conversation with the chairperson and Vuma is doing a survey tomorrow. We will have to discuss this with all the owners on a special meeting. Much appreciated.

Callie de Jager replied on Tue, 13 Mar 2018 at 15:58

Ina. The BC and Trustees have the authority to have fiber installed within the complex or estate, only they can decide whether fiber can be installed or not. Fibre infrastructure providers cannot go beyond what the BC says.
Take the suggestion to a meeting and vote on it. Majority rules.

RE: RE: Fibre in complex

Anne Greening replied on Fri, 16 Mar 2018 at 19:54

If the cables are to be overhead, the trustees need to consider the effect on the appearance of the complex. If underground, is there space in the cable trenches for them? In either case, the installation of the cables would amount to an improvement to the common property, and would require the approval of a special or a unanimous resolution of the BC (depending on whether the BC considered it a necessary improvement or not).

Advertisements
Banner
Website Statistics
  • Forum Topics: 11356
  • Users: 20674