STO Forums

Search

Type your search criteria above and click Search to search the forums.

To see if someone has already answered a query similar to yours, click the Search button above and search for terms related to your question.

Thatch lapa no fire protection

By Desiree Mansfield on Sat, 12 May 2018 at 06:54

The trustees need some advice regarding a thatch lapa.
There is an owner who has a thatch lapa built in front of his unit and will not have it fireproofed, nor will he get a hand held fire canister in case of fire.
This is the requirements on our insurance.
This lapa poses a fire hazard as the thatch roof lies on the wall of the unit next to it and is in very close proxy to others.
Our MA says that if he does not have it done, then the lapa will not be insured and it must be excluded from our insurance policy.
My 2 questions are:
What would be the consequences regarding any claims if it does catch fire and destroys the units next door or across the passage and we have excluded it from our insurance – and second question, are we allowed to exclude it from our insurance policy?

Replies

You must login to post a reply.

RE: Thatch lapa no fire protection

Nico Carstens replied on Sun, 13 May 2018 at 09:01

Declare dispute with Ombud.

RE: RE: Thatch lapa no fire protection

Desiree Mansfield replied on Mon, 14 May 2018 at 05:00

thanks Nico, please can you give me more details how to go about it, including contact, etc?

RE: RE: RE: Thatch lapa no fire protection

Murray Bennett replied on Thu, 17 May 2018 at 20:45

Link to a relevant article:
https://www.paddocks.co.za/?p=12213

Refer to www.csos.org.za and legislation under the library section on this page.

RE: Thatch lapa no fire protection

Desiree Mansfield replied on Sat, 19 May 2018 at 04:16

Thanks Murray for your reply. I just need to mention this. I find so often on this site that when someone is asking a question, the person who gives a reply does not give a complete reply first time round. This question of mine is a typical example. I asked the question on 12 May, Nico replied on 13 May not with full info, so I asked for more info on 14 May! Only now you replied on 17 May giving me the information I need. The people replying to questions should remember the people asking the questions needs more information than a "one liner" to help them, so if they cannot give all the info needed first time round, then dont answer as it does not help at all as we got to keep asking for more info. Also bear in mind the person asking the question is not so clued up as the person answering!

Advertisements
Banner
Website Statistics
  • Forum Topics: 11412
  • Users: 20776