STO Forums

Search

Type your search criteria above and click Search to search the forums.

To see if someone has already answered a query similar to yours, click the Search button above and search for terms related to your question.

Cardboard Covering Windows

By Isaac Dart on Sun, 10 Jun 2018 at 08:02

Hi.

I am a tenant in a bulding complex. I have recently moved into the building and I dabble in photography as a hobby. As such, I require complete darkness in order to develop photos. I have covered one of the windows in my apartment with cardboard in order to block out light. My landlord has sent me an email from the body corporate telling me that there has been a complaint about the appearance of the cardboard and I need to remove it.
However, I contend that the inside of my apartment is not common property and I am entitled to decorate it as I see fit. The cardboard is on the inside of the window and so functions in the same way as a curtain.
I have already spoken with the body corporate and they are not listening to reason. They are threatening to fine me for contravening rulws regarding the appearance of the property but I do not believe common property appearance applies. Please can you advise.

Replies

You must login to post a reply.

RE: Cardboard Covering Windows

andrew church replied on Sun, 10 Jun 2018 at 12:56

I have covered one window in my apartment with cardboard in order to block out light
----------------------------------
Seen this many times before. In the end a simple trick can solve the problem. Hang your curtain netting first. Then hang your dark curtains second. Close netting and curtains next. Then finally put your card board up again. The reason why this works is that from outside other investors/owners will only see the closed curtains. They will not see what is behind the curtains. ( keep in mind conduct rules are only worried about what they can see through the glass window. (Netting and curtains are legal and accepted and this is what they want to see)

RE: RE: Cardboard Covering Windows

Anthea De villiers replied on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 at 15:43

Good answer Andrew

Advertisements
Banner
Website Statistics
  • Forum Topics: 11356
  • Users: 20674