STO Forums

Search

Type your search criteria above and click Search to search the forums.

To see if someone has already answered a query similar to yours, click the Search button above and search for terms related to your question.

Levy increase rejected

By Desiree Mansfield on Fri, 23 Nov 2018 at 12:48

I would like to know what the ST Act says when owners reject an increase in levies.
At the recent AGM owners rejected the increase in levy as they said we have enough in our bank account (R100 000) to cover expenses.

Our complex (17 units) is very basic, just the houses. The complex is face brick, and we only paint gutters, downpipes & seal roof ridges which have just been done.
We have our own water meters, and pay our own electricity.

But there are the general expenses that need to be paid, municipal refuse, insurance, MA, garden service, and general maintenance.

Our MA accepted their decision.

The levies cover these expenses but the problem is the owners don’t want us to have a huge amount in our bank account as they say they cannot have their portion refunded when they move out. We do have 3 months levies saved.

My point is what happens if we have an emergency and need money for something? Our only option would then be to raise a special levy but then we would not have the money immediately.

They don’t believe in saving for a rainy day, just so long as our expenses are paid they say it is okay.

Is there anything the trustees can do about this legal wise?

Replies

You must login to post a reply.

RE: Levy increase rejected

Nicole Tavares replied on Mon, 26 Nov 2018 at 08:50

Hi Desiree,

We see that your question has not yet been answered....Show More

RE: Levy increase rejected

Desiree Mansfield replied on Tue, 27 Nov 2018 at 04:23

Hi Nicole,
Thank you for your reply and kind offer. I am really surprised that no panel member was able to help and reply to my question. I am unable to take up your kind offer of consultation whether it was a Black Friday rate or ordinary rate as I am a pensioner and really cannot afford it, plus the cell phone call as well which would also be very costly calling from Gauteng.
So many thanks again, much appreciated.
Regards,
Desiree

Advertisements
Banner
Website Statistics
  • Forum Topics: 11537
  • Users: 20975