STO Forums

Search

Type your search criteria above and click Search to search the forums.

To see if someone has already answered a query similar to yours, click the Search button above and search for terms related to your question.

Insurance responsibility

By Desiree Mansfield on Sun, 14 Apr 2019 at 04:54

Hi,
Can someone with insurance knowledge or background answer this question please?
Our insurance broker says it is not the responsibility of the insurer or the broker to advise us on the changes in legislation as there are too many!
So my question is this: How would we know if various items in our policy have changed, if we are not advised regarding it when it changes?
We just had a claim recently, and the insurer has failed to meet the claim, and when queried they said legislation changed in 2018, but they failed in their duty to advise us to this effect? What recourse do we have in holding them responsible?
thank you.

Replies

You must login to post a reply.

RE: Insurance responsibility

Antoinette Pedro replied on Sun, 14 Apr 2019 at 06:58

Hi Desiree
Does this by any chance have something to do with the new geyser regulations?

RE: RE: Insurance responsibility

Desiree Mansfield replied on Mon, 15 Apr 2019 at 04:22

Hi Antoinette,
Thanks for asking. Must be as the broker as they said there are new geyser regulations. What I don't agree with our geysers have a 2 year waiver guarantee, so every two years we have an inspection done on the anode. Last year in October the trustees informed the broker who informed the insurance that this time period was due. We got a reply back from them that we will be informed closer to the time!
We were NOT informed until now which was SIX months later when a geyser burst and the owner had to pay the first amount payable!
I think this is negligent on their side and they should bear the cost. But the question still remains that they should inform all their clients to this effect if legislation changed, or how else would we know?

RE: Insurance responsibility

Nico Carstens replied on Wed, 17 Apr 2019 at 08:07

We received this from our broker:

IMPORTANT PLUMBING / GEYSER NOTICE ...Show More

RE: RE: Insurance responsibility

Desiree Mansfield replied on Thu, 18 Apr 2019 at 02:53

Hi Antoinette,
Wow,I thank you for sending this information, and really appreciate it. Something I was looking for and this is going straight to our brokers.
Can I ask you what date you received this information as this is important?
Thanks so much for your help.
Regards,
Desiree

RE: RE: RE: Insurance responsibility

Annette Stones replied on Thu, 18 Apr 2019 at 23:52

Hi Desiree - It was actually Nico who forwarded the notice received from their broker, and from whom you require the information regarding the date on which this had been sent. But thank you for your query, which elicited Antoinette's - and, in the process, alerted us all to the new regulations i.r.o. geyser replacements. Our BC is insured by CIA under its Community Living Policy, and yet, despite their having upped our excesses due to an atypical spate of geyser claims a year ago, we too had not heard a word from them in this regard!?

RE: RE: RE: RE: Insurance responsibility

Desiree Mansfield replied on Fri, 19 Apr 2019 at 04:43

Morning Annette & Nico,
Once again I thank you both for reading my post and the valuable information given.
I take it that the notice was recent-2019.
We don't pay any excess on our geysers only if we don't use their call centre for replacement or maintenance, but think that the new legislation sent this will be changed as per my first post.
In our case, this will only apply to maintenance, so we have to wait until someone reports a faulty geyser going forward.
Other information: We have our geysers inspected every two years and we receive a certificate for them.
Then if a geyser bursts, they replace the geyser free of charge to the owner with no excess. This only applies if the owner had their geyser inspected and got a certificate for it, AND makes use of their call centre.
If the owner calls any other plumbers out, they are responsible for the cost themselves.
Hope this helps as much as your article on new legislation.
Regards,
Desiree

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Insurance responsibility

Antoinette Pedro replied on Sat, 20 Apr 2019 at 17:14

Yes it was Nico who forwarded the notice from his broker. For some reason I did not get the usual notifications that further replies were made under this topic.

Annette we are also with CIA and received no notice from them or our broker regarding the new geyser regs. An owner had to pay in substantially with their burst geyser claim recently. I suggest you find out more from your insurer so that you are not blindsided like we were....Show More

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Insurance responsibility

Desiree Mansfield replied on Sun, 21 Apr 2019 at 05:27

Hi Antoinette,
This is getting more interesting every time someone with new information submits it and enlightens us more about these new B class energy saving geysers - so thank you for sharing this.
As I see it no brokers or insurance companies are informing clients to this effect, as you say 'only AFTER you queried it'unbelievable!
We are having our geyser inspection in June month so this information has helped so much. However, I don't think that they will replace all geysers with the new energy saving ones and can only ask even if We are with ONE Sure, so even if I have to pay the extra as you mentioned,it is worth it as electricity is getting more and more expensive.
Any further information on this topic would be welcome and much appreciated.
Desiree

Advertisements
Banner
Website Statistics
  • Forum Topics: 11672
  • Users: 21168