STO Forums

Search

Type your search criteria above and click Search to search the forums.

To see if someone has already answered a query similar to yours, click the Search button above and search for terms related to your question.

C.P cyclical painting shortfall.

By Marguerite de la Harpe on Sat, 10 Mar 2012 at 10:37

The exterior of my house is due for its cyclical 4 year painting maintenance by the B.C. The trustee/employed caretaker who supervises the painter/groundsman told me recently that my house was due for painting however the B.C. would only pay for one coat of paint and that I would have to pay for the second coat of paint as there wasn't enough in the budget for a second coat of paint. I have been paying a levy for years now what are my legal rights in such a situation?

Replies

You must login to post a reply.

RE: C.P cyclical painting shortfall.

John Yates replied on Sat, 10 Mar 2012 at 11:20

Follow.

Peter Vickery replied on Mon, 12 Mar 2012 at 07:55

Hi Marguerite - if your building is painted every 4 years, then 1 coat is probably sufficient. 2 coats would be 'overkill!' i.e. unnecessary.
Most buildings are painted every 7 - 10 years which would require 2 coats, as the underlying colour would have faded and a single coat would be patchy.

Regards...Show More

Constant Laubscher replied on Mon, 12 Mar 2012 at 21:25

Hi Marguerite, A rather strange way for trustees to communicate with members of the Body Corporate. However, it is the duty of the trustees to maintain the scheme and if the majority of members of the Body Corporate are adamant that two coats of paint should be applied, they would be well advised to look at raising a special levy for the extra coat of paint to maintain uniformity and ensure that everyone is treated equally. I also find the frequency of painting every four years a bit rough and it is probably as a result of this that the funds are now inadequate. You may not have a legal right to fight the situation but it could be a good idea to investigate your expenditure and perhaps increase the levies if necessary. Regards, Constant.

Advertisements
Banner
Website Statistics
  • Forum Topics: 11683
  • Users: 21199