STO Forums

Search

Type your search criteria above and click Search to search the forums.

To see if someone has already answered a query similar to yours, click the Search button above and search for terms related to your question.

Damp Through Foundation

By bill hobbs on Mon, 12 Mar 2012 at 20:58

I have damp on the inside of my garage wall above the damp course line, there is no evidence of water coming from above, I pointed this out to the trustees and was informed that it was due to damp coming through the foundations (which is below the damp course line) and that it is my responsibility to have the foundation treated with COPREX.
above the damp course there are cracks on the exterior walls and it seems to me that the damp is penetrating from there. My question is...if it is from the foundation am I liable for the repair, also there is adequate drainage from the said area and no pools of rainwater builds up because the building is on a slight slope and the damp course from ground level is about 1 .metre

Replies

You must login to post a reply.

RE: Damp Through Foundation

Swazi Coetzee replied on Wed, 14 Mar 2012 at 14:23

If it is rising damp the Body Corp under Section 37 of the Act is responsible for the repairs.Rising damp occurs as a result of capillary suction of moisture from the ground into porous masonry building material.

RE: RE: Damp Through Foundation

bill hobbs replied on Wed, 14 Mar 2012 at 22:18

Thank you, Swazi for the information, if the plaster on the outside of the wall does not go below the soil to the foundation, would it still be the BC responsibility?

RE: RE: RE: Damp Through Foundation

Swazi Coetzee replied on Thu, 15 Mar 2012 at 08:41

Yes.

RE: RE: RE: RE: Damp Through Foundation

bill hobbs replied on Thu, 15 Mar 2012 at 09:06

Thank once again, I have a meeting with the BC this Saturday and I have one last question that you may be able to help me with, I need to print out section 37 regarding this, but unable to find it if by any chance you know where to look could you please let me know where to look or copy it for me and send it on to me at gonbowls@telkomsa.net Thanks again. PS in what capacity do you know all this. Regards Bill

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Damp Through Foundation

Swazi Coetzee replied on Thu, 15 Mar 2012 at 09:47

Please go to the Main Menu (left hand column) and click on Browse the Library and you will find the Sectional Title Act.

Advertisements
Banner
Website Statistics
  • Forum Topics: 11683
  • Users: 21199