STO Forums

Search

Type your search criteria above and click Search to search the forums.

To see if someone has already answered a query similar to yours, click the Search button above and search for terms related to your question.

Fixtures - Satelite dishes

By Jeanette Buchner on Wed, 14 Mar 2012 at 15:39

We all know that once a fixture is attached to a building it may not bew removed. The question I would like to ask concernes Satelite dishes. Is the bracket of the dish seen as the fixture or the whole dish?

Replies

You must login to post a reply.

RE: Fixtures - Satelite dishes

Mike Power replied on Wed, 14 Mar 2012 at 16:42

Hi Jeanette, I saw this exact situation this morning and the same question crossed my mind. I think that the reasoning behind any such rule, would be to prevent any damage to the roof or walls, and thus threaten the integrity of the waterproofing.

By removing the dish and leaving the bracket, I think that no damage could be done to the building, and therefore I believe it would be ok.

RE: RE: Fixtures - Satelite dishes

Gerhard Bezuidenhout replied on Wed, 14 Mar 2012 at 18:14

In other words - the application would have been initially to affix brackets and NOT a dish?

Rather confusing, as the aspect of concern would have been the harmonious appearance of the building....Show More

RE: RE: RE: Fixtures - Satelite dishes

Jeanette Buchner replied on Thu, 15 Mar 2012 at 11:04

Thank you Gerhard, you're answer makes sense.

Myburgh Brink replied on Wed, 14 Mar 2012 at 19:50

This is where trustees slip up more often than not. When permission is granted for the installation it is given for a dish and not the bracket which is fixed to the wall, in fact it should be treated as a single unit. You cannot get reception from the bracket and you cannot screw the dish to the wall on its own so I would say the two items should be seen as one and once installed it stays. Does anybody remove a safety gate when they move?

Anne Greening replied on Wed, 14 Mar 2012 at 20:27

Hear, hear.

Marais Viljoen replied on Wed, 03 Oct 2012 at 14:08

Hi Myburgh.
To some extent I agree with what you say, but if I affix my satelite dish to the common property it becomes a permanent fixture and at the same time I am enriching the Body Corporate? And when I leave one day I am not allowed to remove the dish. So I am \"impoverishing\" myself. How is that fair?

Julie Steffers replied on Fri, 16 Mar 2012 at 16:27

The late Bob Gauld once wrote an article about Satelite dishes and said there is a company that installs one per building and the owners that want to use it will pay for rental. There is no cost to the BC. That makes for sense to me rather than having each owner have his/her own dish

Anne Granada replied on Fri, 16 Mar 2012 at 19:59

We all know that we cannot live in apartments if the water drips through the roof, the damp comes down the walls, the tiles pop off and the cupboards becomes mouldy. However by putting up a TV aerial on my roof ( I am on the top floor - flat roof - waterproofing interferd with) my neighbour has subjected me to this. So your statement, the TV aerial may not be removed - fine but the neighbour must pay for new cupboards, new carpets, and all the doctors bills as the children suffer from allergies, sinus and asthma and cannot live with the damp smell from the cupboards.

Anne Granada replied on Fri, 16 Mar 2012 at 19:59

We all know that we cannot live in apartments if the water drips through the roof, the damp comes down the walls, the tiles pop off and the cupboards becomes mouldy. However by putting up a TV aerial on my roof ( I am on the top floor - flat roof - waterproofing interferd with) my neighbour has subjected me to this. So your statement, the TV aerial may not be removed - fine but the neighbour must pay for new cupboards, new carpets, and all the doctors bills as the children suffer from allergies, sinus and asthma and cannot live with the damp smell from the cupboards.

Advertisements
Banner
Website Statistics
  • Forum Topics: 11683
  • Users: 21199