STO Forums

Search

Type your search criteria above and click Search to search the forums.

To see if someone has already answered a query similar to yours, click the Search button above and search for terms related to your question.

Municipal Rates and Taxes account

By Leoni Santiago on Mon, 19 Mar 2012 at 14:35

Hi there

I was hoping someone would know how the municipality calculates their rates and taxes accounts for sectional titles. I know how the municipality calculates the rates portion, but what I want to know is how they determine what the sewerage, rubbish and water portion should be? I am curious as I feel it is a little unfair that I should pay the same rates and taxes as a friend of mine, while I have a one bedroom flat and she has a 4 bedroom house with a yard.
I have contacted the municipality and all they tell me is that the muni just decided randomly on the amounts, and I just have to suck it up and accept it. They are charging me for 5 toilets, and two rubish bins (when the building only has 3 in total for 18 flats).
I am just interested in finding out how they determine how much sewerage etc we have to pay.
Thanks.

Replies

You must login to post a reply.

RE: Municipal Rates and Taxes account

Swazi Coetzee replied on Mon, 19 Mar 2012 at 15:18

Go to www.joburg.org.za/rates for Johannesburg.

Leoni Santiago replied on Mon, 19 Mar 2012 at 15:34

Thanks very much!!

RE: RE: Municipal Rates and Taxes account

Anne Greening replied on Tue, 20 Mar 2012 at 12:13

Hi, Leonie. I can't answer for Jo'burg, but in our complex all the rubbish is collected by the Municipality at our gate, in big metal bins. The Body Corporate is billed, and the cost is included in levies. Has your complex negotiated with your Municipality for bulk collection?
Sewage fees are charged to section owners by the Municipality according the the number of toilets in each unit.

Leoni Santiago replied on Tue, 20 Mar 2012 at 13:13

Hi Anne

I actually live in Mossel Bay, but just wanted an idea as to how other municipalities work out the fees. Our municipality collects the rubbish in bulk outside the gates for the flats. We have a total of 3 rubbish bins for the 18 flats. We also all only have 1 toilet per flat, as the flats are quite small. Yet our municipality is not charging us based on what we have, but for the priviledge of being able to install 5 toilets if we want to or to have about 2 or 3 dustbins per flat if we please. Which I find totally unacceptable. I dont understand how we can be charged in that way? And they refuse to tell us how they decided on or calculated the fees. The lady at the municipality just tells us that it is basically a random amount decided upon by the powers that be. I dont know, but that is just something that does not sit well with me.

Anne Greening replied on Wed, 21 Mar 2012 at 11:29

Hi, Leonie. Sounds as if you need to escalate this matter beyond the "lady in the Municipality" (unless you're referring to your mayor!) I suggest your Trustees take it up with the Municipal Manager for a start.
Just a thought - our Chairman is a member of the local ward council. This is a useful forum for bringing municipal problems to the Town Council's attention.

Myburgh Brink replied on Wed, 21 Mar 2012 at 15:19

As far as I know when a municipality presents its budget, this document includes (has to include?) how the various sources of revenue are to be determined – i.e. a formula for refuse (per bin, per m³ or whatever method is to be used) similarly for sewage (Cape Town to my knowledge uses a percentage of the water consumption). So perhaps a starting point is to get hold of this document – it should be freely available to all rate payers and if it is not then there is something very wrong. To tell you that the charge is determined on what you are allowed to have and not on what you in fact have is out of line and seems to indicate a lack of competency – the next thing is that SARS is going to tell you that you could earn R1m (when in fact you are earning R10k) so your income tax will be based on what you could earn.

If your municipality has a website, try looking there for something on their finances. Another avenue would be to approach the MEC for local government.

grant solomons replied on Fri, 03 Aug 2018 at 14:01

With regards to the municipal rates and taxes, I contacted the municipality to get a statement as im selling my property they dont have any account on my name I purchased the property in 2007 what are the implications of this

Anne Greening replied on Sat, 04 Aug 2018 at 08:06

Hi, Leoni, do you have receipts for your rates payments?

RE: RE: RE: Municipal Rates and Taxes account

Leoni Santiago replied on Sat, 18 Aug 2018 at 19:42

Hi Anne

I do. My rates account has gone up to almost R800.00 a month for a one bedroom flat. Another person I know ownes a 2 bedroom flat and pays only R302 a month. It doesnt quite seem right to me.

RE: RE: RE: RE: Municipal Rates and Taxes account

Anne Greening replied on Sun, 19 Aug 2018 at 07:31

Sorry, my response was meant to be to Grant. Unfortunately, the wrong name comes up on posts to which one is responding.

RE: RE: RE: RE: Municipal Rates and Taxes account

Anne Greening replied on Sun, 19 Aug 2018 at 07:32

Hi, Leonie, rates are calculated based on the rateable value of the property, not on the number of bedrooms. That's the only reason I can think of for the discrepancy. You could check the comparative valuations of the 2 properties of the valuation roll of the Municipality.

Advertisements
Banner
Website Statistics
  • Forum Topics: 11683
  • Users: 21199