STO Forums


Type your search criteria above and click Search to search the forums.

To see if someone has already answered a query similar to yours, click the Search button above and search for terms related to your question.

Occupation and Completion Certificate

By Coral Lewis on Tue, 20 Mar 2012 at 19:35

Can someone help shed some light on this subject.

What is the difference between a Completion and Occupation Certificate?

Are they 2 separate certificates?
Who issues them?

We were instructed some time ago to obtain an Occupation Certificate for one of the flats and also needed to obtain a Completion Certificate for the building after having balconies built.

We have now received a document called "Completion Certificate" from the Council but at the bottom of the documnet it says "is/are ready for occupation and is/are in accordance with the National Building Regulations and the plans approved by the Council."
Is this therefore the "Completion Certificate" and do we still need the Occupation Certificate?

I'm unclear



You must login to post a reply.

RE: Occupation and Completion Certificate

Thomas Groenewald replied on Wed, 21 Mar 2012 at 14:44

"Upon satisfactory completion of the building work, your building certifier will issue a Certificate of Completion. You can then lodge with us an application for a Certificate of Occupancy" - this is from an Australian website: HTe same my apply in SA?

RE: Occupation and Completion Certificate

Swazi Coetzee replied on Thu, 22 Mar 2012 at 13:31

The Certificate of Occupancy is a document that provides authorization from the local government for a building to be utilized as a public edifice or as a private residence. The purpose of the certificate is to provide verification that the building is in full compliance with current building codes, and is safe for occupancy.

Website Statistics
  • Forum Topics: 11683
  • Users: 21199